Saturday, September 5, 2009

T goes to the farmer's market(s)

Wow, what an exciting morning! Two farmer's markets and lots of good vegetables and fruit now in my kitchen.
This is what we picked up: zucchini, lima beans, pears (yes, THOSE pears), green satsumas, creole tomatoes, brown rice, green bell peppers, white button mushrooms, okra, patty pan squash, fresh corn and cucumbers.
I have no idea what to do with: patty pan squash
Previously, we've gotten okra at the market....I made a pretty good Bhindi Masala. However, if you've never tried, they're not bad raw with a little salt! (and perhaps not so slimy when you eat it raw)
I'm excited about the lima beans because last week I came up with a great lima bean and tomato "stew" that we ate over brown rice! So I'll be sharing that recipe with you soon. I was hoping for more shiitake mushrooms, but alas......just the white button type. And it sure will be nice to have fresh raw corn this afternoon as a snack! Right off the cob.
Now I must go drink my second cup of coffee and think about today's food!
If you have a good recipe for patty pan squash, do let me know. Also, if you know what the heck I'm supposed to do with green satsumas, do tell. Do I let them ripen? Are you supposed to eat them green?? Hmmm....
Happy fooding!
Eat smart,
T.

2 comments:

  1. Bhindi Masala! Yum! I wish I could help with the green satsumas. Honestly, I don't even know what a satsuma is.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linneo. Satsumas are a kind of mandarin orange and are very popular in Louisiana. Now to go find out if I can eat them green or not...

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter