Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bhindi Masala or OKRA

Hello eaters,

And for the last post of the day, I'm sharing my recipe for Bhindi Masala, which is a combination of recipes really.....I've searched and searched and took a little from each. So I guess it's not really my own, but it's nobody else's either :)

Tanya's Bhindi Masala:


8-12 medium sized okra
1 tomato, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 large can of crushed or diced tomatoes
1 Tbl olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
small piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
salt/pepper
Following spices: coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric, black mustard seeds, garam masala, crushed red pepper flakes and cajun spices (if you want it spicier)



Heat oil in pan, add cumin seeds. Stir for a couple of minutes. Add onions and ginger. Cook for a few minutes, stirring. Add the 1 fresh tomato and stir. Add some of the spices, like chili powder, turmeric, mustard seeds and coriander. Stir and cook a few minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and the "spicy" spices. Cook another couple of minutes. Cut both ends of the okra, slice lengthwise, then cut in half across. Add to the pan. Make sure the okra is covered by the sauce. Let it cook for another 8-10 minutes or so. Add salt,pepper, and garam masala. Cook a couple more minutes and it's done. Don't let the okra get mushy...it's good when it's still firm and crunchy.



Last time, I sliced the okra like a cucumber, into small pieces. I think I prefer that. So it's up to you how to cut it. I also sauteed it first last time, letting it brown, then put it aside until the very end, then added it back into the pan. Again, adjust as you need to! It's all a matter of taste.


In these pictures, it's served with red rice.


Nobody solved the breakfast bowl challenge from earlier?? Hmmm....well the first picture is quick cooking oats (my husband's breakfast). The second picture is the cooked whole oat groats (my breakfast). Which one is more nutricious? MINE! :)

I'm going to tune out now.....thanks for listening.....or reading.
Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter