Saturday, September 5, 2009

Lima Bean Chili.....sort of....

And so we begin this portion of today's meals, by saying that I have absolutely no idea what to call this dish.  Somehow, stew didn't really entice me.  Chili?  Maybe, although it's not really spicy.  If you can come up with a name, please post!

First, I have to tell you that I had the best snack of raw corn on the cob this afternoon.  Yes, it got caught in my teeth...doesn't it always?  It was fresh from the farmer's market today.

And on to tonight's feast.  Well ok, it's not really a feast.  This is my "Lima Bean and Tomato Chili".

Recipe:


1-2 cups fresh lima beans (if you use pre-cooked ones, skip the boiling section)
1 or 2 green bell peppers, cut into smallish pieces
1 small or medium yellow onion, chopped coarsely
1 16-28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (or diced, but crushed is better)
1 TB extra virgin olive oil
fresh basil (I use purple basil and genovese, but you can use whatever you have)
freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
~1/2 cup water

Put lima beans in a pot.  Cover with water and bring to boil.  Boil for about 20 minutes or so.  Do NOT eat the raw lima beans.  I believe they are poisonous somehow. (I read that)

When lima beans are done, drain and set aside.  Put olive oil in a pan and heat.  Add onions and saute until just starting to burn (I love that smell).  Add the green peppers.  Saute for several minutes, but don't let them get soft!  The peppers must still be somewhat crunchy...it gives it a much better flavor.  Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as the fresh basil, torn apart.  You can add some crushed red pepper flakes and garlic if you want it a bit spicier.

Stir every couple of minutes. Add the lima beans. After about 10 minutes (although it depends on your stove...use your own judgement), add the crushed tomatoes.  I usually use about 1/2 to 3/4 of a 28 oz can.  Mix it up.  Let the tomatoes heat up.  If you want it a bit thicker, you can add some tomato paste.  If it's too thick, you can add a little water.  I usually do both! :)  Done!  Serve over brown rice, or whole wheat pasta, or whatever you feel like making.

Happy eating!

And so tonight's meal comes to a close, as does this post.  Remember, if you come up with a name for my meal, I'll be ever so thankful!

No idea what's on the agenda for tomorrow.  Well ok, I have LOTS of tomatoes, so I may end up doing the ol' roasting.  Bye for now!

Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter