Sunday, November 22, 2009

Weekend Market Goods and Quinoa


It was so sad to hear there won't be a market next Saturday, but on the other hand, this weekend's "box" was pretty darn full!  Especially the citrus....wow, the oranges, satsumas and grapefruits galore!


This week's stash: grapefruit, sweet oranges, navel oranges, satsumas, meyer lemon, mustard greens, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, turnips, red potatoes, sweet potatoes, green peppers, fairytale eggplants, tomatoes,  and spaghetti squash.  The stuff barely fit in my two canvas bags!!

And now for today's lunch.  I had some Red Quinoa sitting around in the pantry for a while, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I've never had the red kind....pretty similar to the other, except for the color.  I was supposed to rinse this one.....I didn't have a mesh strainer, so I think I lost a lot of the quinoa, pouring it through my hand.  Must put that on the shopping list!  Here's the recipe:


Tanya's Red Quinoa Skillet:


1 cup red quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock/broth (to cook the quinoa)


1 15 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
1 TB tomato paste
1 key lime, juiced
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, sliced thinly
1 small red pepper, cut into smallish pieces
1 green pepper, cut into smallish pieces
1 carrot, cut down the middle, then sliced thinly
1/2-3/4 cup corn (I had steamed, you can use canned)
chili powder
garlic powder
cilantro (I had freeze-dried)
salt & pepper



Cook the quinoa according to package directions, or boil the 1 1/2 cups of broth, then add the quinoa.  Cover and simmer about 20 minutes, until done.


While the quinoa is cooking, roast the peppers, yellow onion and carrot in the oven on 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. 


About 5 minutes before the quinoa and roasted veg are done, put a 1/2 cup water in a large saute pan.  Cook the green onions and celery on medium heat for about 3 minutes.  Add tomatoes & corn.  Stir and add the roasted vegetables.  Add the chili powder and garlic powder to taste.  Add the cooked quinoa and mix all together.  Add cilantro and tomato paste and stir.  Then add the salt and pepper to taste. Add the lime juice at the end, before serving.

Very filling lunch and quinoa has a lot of protein.  I thought of adding kidney beans, but that would've just added more calories and since it already had protein, we didn't really need it.  But you can go ahead and try!

Must work today.....last opera of the week, then it's time to prepare my pre-Thanksgiving!

Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter