Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!

WARNING: LOTS OF PICTURES!!!



Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I actually had my Thanksgiving last night, because we're going to a friend's house for tonight's dinner, and I always make my own.  So we had an "erev" Thanksgiving! (erev = eve)

We had a few friends from work over and they brought wine and a pecan pie. Oh, and I must admit, I broke down and bought a crust for my pie.  I feel bad, but those things are a pain.  Next time I promise to make my own whole wheat crust!


So here's what we had on our "almost vegan" table:

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (with veg & crackers)

Butternut Squash Dip
Tofurkey
Celebration Roast
My own stuffing (made from my own whole wheat bread)
Root vegetables (leeks,carrots, parsnips, onions around the roasts)
Vegan Savory gravy (that I ordered online)
Maple-Glazed Carrots and Parsnips
Cucumber salad
Cranberry Orange Sauce (A Bountiful Vegan Thanksgiving)

Sweet Potato Spelt biscuits (A Bountiful Vegan Thanksgiving)
Whole wheat cranberry bread
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Cupcakes
(Pecan Pie that our friends brought)

I adjusted recipes to my diet...leaving out oil, etc.  The Pumpkin Cupcakes didn't really come out at all like the picture on that blog, BUT, they were really tasty!  I think it's because I left out the oil, and I probably should've added water to replace it.  So my cupcakes were smaller and denser. I decreased the amount of sugar in them, but I could've decreased it even more, because they were still incredibly sweet, especially with the icing on top.


The vegan pumpkin pie was absolutely delicious! Could've cut down the sugar even more. The biscuits were a bit soft, but tasty.  I even heated them in the toaster oven right before eating, but they never did crisp up.


This was the first time eating the Celebration Roast.  It was really good...had a slightly smoky, peppery flavor. And this was also the first time I've ever made my own cranberry sauce.  This recipe was SO good!


I made everything that had flour in it, with whole wheat (except I used spelt in the biscuits). I replaced soymilk with almond milk and left out all oil/butter, etc.


As for the meal being vegan...it really was almost completely vegan.  I'm sure the pecan pie was not and I'm not sure the crust that I bought for my pumpkin pie was.....but I'm pretty sure mostly everything else was.


It was all really tasty and we had a good time! I'm thankful for all you other bloggers out there, without which I couldn't have made this meal!!

Eat smart,
T.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a feast! Impressive! I actually really like the Tofurkey roast, I'm usually grateful for a little bit of protein at those carb heavy holiday dinners. Never had the Celebration Roast. I can't deal with pie crust, either, they are a pain. I totally cheat on that and buy it. Don't tell. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie. I like the Tofurkey too....but we were having a few people over and I wasn't sure there would be enough. Also wanted to try a new roast this year. I'm glad I did! Maybe next year I'll try a different one....or....I suppose I should really try to make my own!

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter