Monday, November 16, 2009

The weekend market and some new roots

I've been lazy about posting this weekend.  So now I'll post about Saturday's market and what we had for lunch yesterday.


Goods from the market: daikon radish, watermelon radish, cabbage, peppers, tomatoes, satsumas, grapefruit, navel oranges, kale, green onions, white button mushrooms, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, small red potatoes, turnips, pea shoots, and lettuce.


So now there's a HUGE cabbage head on my counter, waiting for me to make some cabbage salad today!  My mom used to make it and I loved it.  I don't have a shredder though, like she did, so I'll be cutting it by hand.


We got two new radishes in the mix: daikon and watermelon.  Very interesting.  The watermelon is the green one with the red insides and the daikon is the white one.  I'm used to seeing the long parsnip-looking daikons at the Asian market.  But the locally grown ones are smaller and rounder.  For lunch yesterday, I roasted the daikon & watermelon radishes with some sweet potatoes, red potatoes, onions, and turnips.  I've gotta admit, I wasn't really into the watermelon radish.  I think it was a bit too strong for me and the daikon was just ok.  I think I'd prefer it pickled and in my veg. sushi!!  But the rest was great :)  Just added salt, pepper, and Herbes of Provence and roasted for 30 minutes in the oven. (I did cook both potatoes for about 5 minutes first)


I think it's going to be a lazy week....between cooking and playing opera (Gounod's Romeo & Juliet, if you're interested).  BUT.....I am going to make pizza this week.  The dough will be made in my bread machine....I just have to come up with a good whole wheat crust recipe!

Eat smart,
T.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to hear how your pizza crust comes out. You will post the recipe won't you?

    Do you play the violin? I played for several years in elementary school. Was in the 'elite' choir in Jr High or I would have been in orchestra. A couple years ago I purchased an inexpesive (cheap) violin on ebay hoping to brush up on my playing and teach my grandchildren to play. Only problem, my violin won't hold a tune. What do I need to do to tighten the pegs so it won't slip out of tune?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry...I'll post the pizza crust recipe! If I can scrounge up a good one :)

    Actually, I play viola. Good for you for getting a violin to play again! Hmmmm, let's see, to tighten up your pegs, you're going to have to take them out (one at a time) and take the string off. Use chalk on the peg where the string gets tied around it. Then put it back in and put the string back on. Don't take them all off at once!! Do them individually...it's kind of a pain, but then they'll stick. Now if they won't budge, you do the same, but with "peg dope". Hope that helps and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Tanya, I'll give that a try. My son is suppose to finish putting the wallboards up in my studio this week so I can start moving my instruments out there. Then I can start brushing up and introducing the kids to the joy of playing music. :)

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter