Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bread and Rice


Guess what?  I just tasted my first bread out of my new bread machine!  Mind you, it wasn't quite 100% whole grain, because I wanted to do a test bread....but it was mostly whole wheat with some high gluten flour added.  I also used demerara sugar, as the machine booklet called for sugar.....next time, I might try something different!



The bread is very good.  Slightly crispy crust....although the top of the bread (as you can see) was quite light.  Not sure why the top didn't darken.  I didn't use any oil in the bread. The inside is nice and soft.  And the size will be good for sandwiches.  Oh how I wanted to slather on some Smart Balance and let it melt right on there......but that's not on my current diet.  Well, I suppose bread isn't either, but who's counting??  :)  I've gotta decide where I'm gonna splurge.  I'll take processed wheat (flour) and calories over fat these days.

Oh and I have to say the machine was very quiet!  That's a big plus.

For lunch I made a simple rice salad, since I'd made a bunch of rice yesterday.


Tanya's Rice Salad: 


3-4 cups cooked brown rice (I used just a little white, since it's locally grown)
1-2 bell peppers, any color
sprouts and/or pea shoots
3-4 sticks celery, chopped
2-3 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chickpeas (or kidney beans)
balsamic vinegar to taste
fresh dill & basil
garlic, salt, pepper


Mix all together! Done!


I'm not swearing by my measurements either.  So it's up to you.....if you want more veggies, add more.  Pour in the vinegar until it looks and tastes about right.

Well, we didn't get any rain from Ida.  In fact, we didn't get any rain from anywhere!  There was a rain storm to our West, and Ida to our East......neither hit us. Weird.  We got about 30 mph winds and that's about it.  Power stayed on too!

Stay tuned for more eats :)
Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter