Sunday, October 4, 2009

My Indian Food

Remember, I said I was going to use up the leftover cooked potato and make my Indian dish?? Well here it is, in all its glory.  Ok, it's a pretty easy and quick dish to make.  But it sure does taste good!


Tanya Masala:


2-3 cooked red potatoes, in wedges or cubed
4 stalks celery, sliced
~8 oz canned chick peas
1/4 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened)
3-5 Tbsp crushed canned tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
salt & pepper
crushed red pepper flakes (optional: if you want it spicy)



Put celery in pot, add 1/8 cup water.  Heat on medium.  When the water starts to boil, add chickpeas.  Stir and let cook for a few minutes.  When the water has boiled out, add the potatoes and another 1/8 cup water. Stir and cut up the pieces of potato into smallish pieces.  Let cook for a few minutes until the water is boiled out.  Add another 1/8 cup water and stir.  Add the spices and stir.  Add the almond milk and the tomatoes.  Stir.  If you notice it sticking to the pot, add another 1/8 cup water and stir.  


Notice I keep adding water.  I think that's what you have to do if you don't use oil.  It helps loosen up whatever wants to stick to the bottom of the pot/pan. You're welcome to add whatever vegetables you like.  As I was eating this today, I thought perhaps I should've used up some of the okra that's really piling up in the fridge.....next time, I guess.  You could add onions or peppers or anything else.  Feel free to experiment!

Today's a rainy day....guess we won't be getting our walks in today.  And I did REALLY well on the McDougall plan yesterday!  No oil.  And no dairy!  And I didn't even have a beer.  Ok, I might have to have a beer tonight after work.  Today: so far, so good.

Please, don't forget to take part in my poll along the right side of the screen!!

Tomorrow's a day off, so hopefully I'll get to post something good!
Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter