Friday, October 9, 2009

Food for a Hot Afternoon

Not really.....I mean, not really food for a hot afternoon, since it involved turning on a hot oven.  But it indeed was/is a hot afternoon.  Nothin' like 90 degrees......heat index of 100 to make you stay inside....and cook!

Today I made two things: a dip and cookies.  So no actual meal, but I told you the cookie recipe would be coming!

(sorry for the weird look here....I had a hard time editing this post)

Eggplant Dip (a recipe from my friend, Nadja's, father): 

1 large eggplant, roasted, peeled and drained of excess water

1/2 cup red pepper, diced
1/4 cup yellow pepper, diced
1/2 cup cucumber, diced
1/2 tsp garlic
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil (I usually leave it out)
2 tbsp lemon juice
pepper & salt

Combine everything (except salt) by hand OR process in a food processor (I like the 2nd way myself). Don't add the salt until you're ready to serve it.



Tanya's Whole Wheat Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies:
(this recipe changes each time I make it)


1/3 cup Canola oil
2/3 cup agave nectar
1 egg (or egg replacer)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole spelt flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 cups rolled oats (I used a mix I bought of oats,barley,sunflower seeds, etc.)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
optional: nuts
a little demerara sugar for topping


Preheat oven to 350.  Mix the oil and agave together in a large bowl.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  In another bowl, stir together the flours, baking soda, salt and spices. Add to egg mixture.  Stir in oats and chocolate chips.  Depending on the consistency, you may need to add a bit of water so it's not too thick to mix.  Drop them by spoonfuls on a greased (sprayed) baking sheet.  Take some demerara sugar (or whatever you have), and pour some on a small plate.  Take a glass and wet the bottom.  Then smear it onto the sugar and press down the tops of the cookies a little, putting the glass in the sugar between each cookie.  Bake for about 9 minutes if you want them still a little soft.  If you like them crispy, bake for 10 or 11 minutes.


This was the first time I used agave in them.  Again, I find that baked items are not as sweet when I use it.  Still very good, you have the chocolate chips for sweetness.  And these were maybe a bit more cake-like, since I really reduced the oil.  My original had 2/3 cup oil and 1 1/4 cups sugar.  So it's up to you.

Tomorrow's market day....yay!  And we have friends coming to visit from Germany, so I have no idea what I'll make this coming week.  I'm not used to cooking for 4!

By the way, the production of "Opus" by Southern Rep last night was absolutely wonderful!  I highly recommend the show.  It was written by Michael Hollinger, who was a violist that went to Oberlin....just like me!

Bye for now!
Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter