Saturday, October 3, 2009

Potato Vegetable "Saute"

Went to the market this morning, on my way to work.  Sorry, no pictures....was too busy.  But here's what I got in today's "box":  mustard greens, eggplant (not a big fan), yellow squash, apples, rice, satsumas, okra,  cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and white button mushrooms.


Ok, I'm really not a fan of eggplant.  Maybe I'll make a dip out of it.  I had a friend with an amazing recipe.  Actually, her dad made it (may he rest in peace) and it was absolutely amazing.  I keep losing the recipe.....guess I'll have to ask her for it again.  If you have a great eggplant recipe, let me know....you know, as long as it disguises the eggplant texture :)

Since I was at work all afternoon, I didn't have much time to make dinner.  I boiled potatoes this morning...remember.....it's really great to have boiled potatoes on hand, when you don't have much time.


Tanya's Potato Vegetable "Saute":


2-3 red potatoes, cooked and cut into smallish pieces
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 very small yellow squash, cubed
3 big white button mushrooms
7-8 shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
salt, pepper, garlic, creole seasoning, paprika



I call it saute, but I used NO oil.  This is my new "McDougall"ism.  Put onion in a pan, put on medium heat.  Add about 1/8 cup water.  When the onion starts to stick, add another 1/8 cup water.  Stir.  After about 5 minutes, add the peppers, squash, and mushrooms.  Add another 1/8 cup water and cook up the vegetables. When the water boils out and the vegetables are partially cooked, add the potatoes and spices to your liking. You may need to keep adding water, 1/8 cup at a time, so the vegetables don't stick to the pan.  (I'm using nonstick).   Not sure I'd recommend stainless steel for cooking w/o oil.  At then end, add the tomatoes and let cook for another couple of minutes, until heated.  


I wasn't originally going to add the tomatoes, but I realized I had some in the fridge that needed to be used up and it's pretty low calorie.  That's another staple I HAVE to have in the pantry: cans of crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes.  I use those in almost everything!

And I'm excited, because I have some cooked potatoes left and I realized I haven't shared my Indian dish with you yet!  So that will be next!!

Have a good weekend!
Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter