Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Day of Mushrooms


Hello again!  Welcome to mushroom day.  I had leftover Shiitakes and White Buttons from the market, so I thought I should use them up.  Tonight I made Experimental Stuffed Mushrooms and Teriyaki Udon Noodles with Shiitake Mushrooms.  Both were pretty easy (especially the Teriyaki dish).  The most time consuming part was taking the stems off the mushrooms and chopping them.


So here are the recipes!

Tanya's Experimental Stuffed Mushrooms:
(makes 8 mushrooms)


8 large white button mushrooms
1 slice of a yellow onion, chopped
1-2 TB whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup canned chickpeas
1 TB canned crushed tomatoes (or tomato puree)
salt, pepper, garlic powder, italian seasonings (basil, oregano, etc.)


Preheat the oven (I used my Cuisinart Toaster Oven) to 375 degrees. Saute the onion in a pan with a little water.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.  Pull the stems out of the mushrooms (so you get the whole thing and have lots of room to fill) and chop them up.  Add them to the onions.  Add a bit more water, if it's sticking to the bottom.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.  Put the cooked onions and mushroom stems in a bowl.  Add the bread crumbs and the chickpeas.  Mash up the chickpeas really well in there.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Take the mushroom caps and put them on tin foil or a sprayed cookie sheet. Fill them evenly with the stuffing.  Bake for about 15 minutes. (If you like cheese, you could probably add a bit of parmesan on top near the end of the baking)


Tanya's Udon Noodles with Shiitake Mushrooms:
(serves 2-3)


6 oz dry udon noodles (cook as directed on package and set aside)
2 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms (you can add more...they really shrink!)
~1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (add more or less depending on your taste)


Add mushrooms to pan with a little water (1-2 TB).  Cook on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes.  Add the udon noodles and the teriyaki sauce.  Stir often, so it doesn't stick.  You may want to add another tablespoon or so of water while it cooks.  Again, stir often!  I like it a bit crispy, so I cook it until the noodles have browned and crisped up.  Stir, stir, stir. Done. 


Now, I don't usually measure anything when I'm cooking, so I hope it all comes out right :)  And I'm not sure that Italian style and Japanese style go together.....but it was fine by me!

See? Pretty simple, huh? Watch, I probably forgot a step.  Hehehe......for your sake, I hope not.
Eat up!

Coming up soon: my Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Eat smart,
T.







1 comment:

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter