Thursday, October 1, 2009

ChocoSun Oat Bars


Ok, so this was yesterday's experiment.  Didn't turn out bad at all.  Just VERY different from the original....I'm assuming.  It at least looks very different than the original.  And since I left out half the ingredients, probably tastes pretty different too!

I based this recipe on the No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars from the Buns In My Oven blog.

So here's my version:

Tanya's ChocoSun Oat Bars:


3 cups quick cooking oats
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp agave nectar
~1 1/4 cups water
1 cup chocolate chips

1/4-1/2 cup Sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds)



Put the oats in a pot with the water.  Cook for a couple of minutes until thick, but moist.  Add the vanilla extract and agave.  Mix well.  It WILL be sticky.  Take the pot off the stove and let cool....this way it won't be as sticky when you press it into the pan.  Grease an 8x8 pan.  Put the chocolate chips and Sunbutter in a bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so.  Mix well and make sure it's a nice creamy consistency.  Once cooled, press half the oat mixture into the bottom of the pan.  Pour most of the chocolate on top, leaving some for the very top.  Now press the rest of the oat mixture on top of the chocolate.  It's ok if there are holes where the chocolate comes through.  Now pour the rest of the chocolate mixture on top, spread evenly.  Put in fridge for a few hours. I imagine the original version hardens much more.  This one turned out a bit soft.  Still able to cut it into squares, but the oat part is a little soft, probably because there was no butter or anything to harden it.  



Let me know how yours turns out and if you've changed the recipe too!  I'm interested in experimental baking, for my health :)

I don't think this is on the McDougall plan, since it's made with sunflower seeds, well, and chocolate chips, which probably have oil and stuff in them.  But at least I left out butter and oil! And used very little sweetener.

That's probably the only post for today, since I think I'll make my Broccoli Cauliflower a la Lemon tonight.

So glad it's finally Fall.
Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter