Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cashew Cheese


I actually made this "cheese" a while ago, but haven't gotten around to posting it.  I first wanted to make vegan cream cheese, but this turned out not to be quite right for that. This is the kind of cheese that's good on crackers, or an English muffin, if so desired. I also dipped little pretzels in it (that's a great combo!).


Cashew Cheese


1 cup cashews
1/4 cup water
3 TB lemon juice
1 tsp dill
1 TB chives
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt to taste


Put the cashews in a food processor and blend until very fine. Then add the rest of the ingredients and process well. Put it in the fridge for about 4 hours to harden. Though if you want it pretty soft, just eat as is.


I'm still looking for a great cashew-based vegan cream cheese recipe. I think if I want a really creamy consistency, I'll have to use the Vitamix. What do you think?

Eat smart,
T.

4 comments:

  1. Did you soak the cashews first? I love how easy the recipe looks! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually,I didn't soak them for this recipe! I know a lot of recipes call for that. You could try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you think about putting this on pizza (just blend w/marinara sauce)? I am not excited about Daiya on pizza, looking for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't recommend this for baking, as in, a pizza. Maybe if you were making a "raw" pizza. I think this kind of "cheese" is too tangy for use on a hot pizza....and not melty.

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter