Saturday, February 6, 2010

Today's Stash and cake in a cup!

First let's start with today's farmer's market.  Got a lot of good stuff, especially greens...yay greens!   But I was sad they had no meyer lemons this week, boooohooo.  I use a ton of lemons for dressing, or just squeezed onto rice.  Here's the loot: lacinato kale, curly kale, mustard greens, collard greens, baby spinach (is there such a thing as eating too many greens??), grapefruit, oranges, white button mushrooms, hydroponic tomatoes, purple top turnips, green onions, cilantro, brown rice, mizuna, and baby carrots.


And we stopped in at the local grocery store, Breaux Mart (you better not be making fun of the name...), while we were in NOLA this afternoon and look at what I got:

Exciting, no?  Why can't I find this stuff in my really local grocery store? Anyway, I got pretty excited at the store.  Oh, I forgot to include a picture of the frozen vegan burrito I found.  It was pretty low calorie and lowfat too (there were several other vegetarian burritos, but only one that was vegan).  I don't usually buy the prepared foods much anymore, but I thought this would be a nice treat in a hurry.

Last night I got a chocolate craving, and I found a recipe for Chocolate Cake in 5 Minutes.  Yup, you got it.  Chocolate cake right out of your cup!  I did adjust the recipe however, to make it vegan.  It didn't rise a ton, and I did it in a bowl, because I wasn't sure what would happen, hehehe.  I thought it might explode in the microwave.  But nope.  It was really good and not too sweet.  Here's my version:

Chocolate Cake in a Cup:
(adapted from Chocolate Cake in 5 Minutes)

4 tbsp whole wheat flour
3 tbsp agave nectar
2 tbsp unsw. cocoa powder
1 "EnerG" egg (the equivalent of one egg)
3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
3 tbsp water 


Mix the first 3 ingredients in a mug or bowl (microwaveable).  Add the "EnerG" egg and mix well.  Then add the almond milk and water.  Mix it up really well so it's not lumpy.  Microwave on High for 3 minutes.  You might want to keep an eye on it your first time, just to make sure it doesn't overflow or anything like that.  Wait until it stops rising (mine didn't rise much) and let it cool for a few minutes.  It's not too sweet, so you might want to up the agave, or sugar, or put some frosting on it, if you like really sweet cake.


I will actually be watching the Superbowl tomorrow, due to the fact that I live in New Orleans.  It's a first for the Saints, so I feel I should be loyal :)  Although in general, I'm not a sports fan.  I think I'm going to make some vegan chili for the event, since we do have someone coming over to watch (this of course will be on my small 20" computer screen, since we don't own a TV).

Eat smart and Geaux Saints!
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter