Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Spicy Indian Food

So my husband wanted something extremely spicy for dinner....he loves Indian food.  I decided to make some sort of sauce to go over his steamed broccoli.  Here's what I came up with:

Tanya's Spicy Curry:

5-6 white button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped or sliced
~1/2 cup crushed tomatoes or pureed tomatoes
~1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (you could try coconut milk instead)
2 tsp Hot curry powder (I use Sharwood's)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes (more if you want it really spicy)
black pepper, salt


Put about 1/4 cup water in a saute pan.  Add the onions and celery and cook until soft.  Add the mushrooms and cook another few minutes.  You may have to add a little water every few minutes, so it doesn't stick to the pan. Add all seasonings except the red pepper flakes.  Let cook another minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and stir.  Then add in the almond milk. Now add the crushed red pepper and more salt to taste.  You may want to add some water to create more of a sauce(more liquid).  I probably added at least 1/2 cup.   Let it lightly boil for 5 minutes to thicken.  Serve over rice, potatoes, or steamed vegetables.

I had mine over a couple of red potatoes I cooked in the microwave. I also had to add a little extra crushed tomatoes and almond milk to my bowl....because the sauce was way too spicy for me :)

Working lots this week, so not too many postings....but look for my Mediterranean burgers this week!!

Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter