Thursday, January 21, 2010

New Veg Restaurant in NOLA

I just got back from a really good lunch with my husband and a good friend.  We went to Cafe Bamboo, the only 100% vegetarian restaurant in New Orleans (and probably in Louisiana).  It opened up in January 2009, while we were on our one year leave in Cincinnati.

I give it a thumbs up!  It's 78 degrees outside, and sunny.....we ate out on their patio.  It was perfect.  When we go to a new place, we go all out, just so we get a taste of "everything".  We started with the appetizer sampler, which included the Sol Chik'n Nuggets, Hummus, Collard Green Rolls, and Caramelized Cauliflower Crustini.  The hummus was garlicky, but very good (and it came with pita and veggie sticks).  The chik'n nuggets were good too....took me back to "real" chicken nugget days (although it's been years since I've eaten chicken).  The rolls were a bit too deep fried for my taste, but the filling was good.  And last but not least, the cauliflower appetizer was ok.  Not enough cauliflower for me, and I could've done without the little piece of crusty bread underneath.   It was a good sampling.  Definitely enough of an appetizer for the 3 of us.

I ordered the sampler rice bowl plate, which included the Mole Poblano, Creole, and Thai curry rice bowls, with brown rice.  They were pretty large servings, especially after having eaten an appetizer plate.  The Creole rice bowl had a very strong tomato flavor, which I liked.  The Mole was very sweet....but I think it was my favorite.  The Thai rice bowl had a really nice peanutty flavor.  All three were really good...if I had to say anything, it would be a bit too much sauce.  I would've liked to see a few more vegetables and less sauce.  My husband ordered the Vindaloo rice bowl (like I said before, he LOVES spicy) and then he added sriracha sauce on top.  I thought, alone, it was spicy enough for me....but he always wants more.  And our friend ordered the Mole, which I've already talked about.

And of course I had to try the vegan desserts. We got the Chocolate Moose Pie and the Key Lime Pie.  Wow! They were both delicious!  The Key Lime had just enough tartness and was very creamy.  The Chocolate was not overly sweet and had a nice thickness to it. Highly recommended.

I would say we had a good experience overall....and we got the 20% local discount, yay!  If you're ever in New Orleans, it's a must try.  Most items on the menu are vegan. And besides, the 2 guys working were very funny and friendly :) It's a very laid back atmosphere. (and in a great, hip neighborhood)

Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter