Saturday, January 9, 2010

Brownies and a BIG trip to the market!

I'm sitting here snacking on Mary's Crackers and yesterday's bean dip....soooo good.  Just came back in from the cold.....went on a walk...I think my ears are still frozen.  Oh look! It's warmed up to 35 degrees!  It was 24 this morning.  I think these are record temperatures for New Orleans, even though we got snow a few years ago.  It wasn't THIS cold.


Went to the Hollygrove Market this morning, because they promised a HUGE box and boy, did they deliver! Here's what we got: cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, hydroponic tomatoes, key limes, meyer lemons, tangelos, satsumas, strawberries, green onions, curly kale, lacinato kale, collard greens, mustard greens, white button mushrooms, grapefruit, cilantro, mizuna, and purple top turnips.


Think we're gonna be greened out this week!  Look at all those greens.  Hmmmm, well I'll start by adding some to my monk bowl for dinner. Now I've never cooked collard greens before, so if you have a suggestion, please let me know.  Do you use them like regular greens?  Are they bitter like mustard greens??


I made brownies this morning for a friend's birthday.......hope she doesn't read this before tonight!  Well, surprise!!  It's a different kind of brownie.....uses silken tofu, so it's a whole lot denser than regular brownies.  But it's still chocolatey and tasty.....just has a different texture.  Hope she likes 'em. Here's the link to the original recipe on FatFreeVegan's blog. Mine look totally different and it sounds like people have had varying results from these.  Meaning....different textures, etc.  I did reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup.  I didn't have light tofu, just regular firm silken tofu.  Perhaps that made the difference?  I used only whole wheat flour....also could've made the difference.  Not really sure.  I'd never made brownies with tofu before, so this is new territory.  Do you have any good brownie recipes??  Please post a link!

That's all for now.....off to work later.  I think I'll be making VeganYumYum's Caulflower Bake again tomorrow night (a friend is coming over), because we just got a nice fresh one from the market.

Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter