Saturday, October 8, 2011

Coffee Addiction




Photo Source: Coffee Bing

Yes it's true. I'm a coffee addict. I'm admitting it. Isn't that the first step? I used to drink the stuff at night in college! Now, I'm not so lucky. If I had coffee at night, it would most likely keep me up. Why is that? I mean, why could I drink it when I was younger without that kind of effect, but now I can't?

Sometimes I even have to go without it.....when I have to perform a concert or audition. Nerves plus caffeine is not a good combination for me. 

Occasionally I make a whole pot and drink a couple of cups worth throughout the morning. Sometimes I make it in my Keurig when I just want one cup, or decaf, etc. 

I recently discovered some good, cheap coffee at.........Whole Foods! Didn't think there was anything cheap there. $4.99 for 14 oz!! Most bags or containers now only hold 12 oz of coffee. Booooo. They all used to be 16 oz. Oh well. So this is a real steal:

Three Beans Coffee. Good stuff. I miss these kinds of canisters from Trader Joe's, but alas, we have no TJ here.
Mmmmmmm....just smell it.

In the old days, I'd order my coffee online. Some of my favorite places are:

The Roasterie (Kansas City) my fave: Voodoo Blend
Porto Rico's (NYC) Great selection of origin beans and teas

I still occasionally order from The Roasterie or Porto Rico. Locally, I found decent prices on pretty good Fair Trade coffee at Target. WHAT?? Yup. Target. And, of course, this new coffee at WF! I know it's sad, but I haven't really found a local coffee company that I like. Once in a while I like chicory coffee, but not usually. That's the typical New Orleans Style Coffee. 

I always buy whole beans, because I like the fresh smell and taste of freshly ground coffee. When I'm on roadtrips, I always buy local coffee beans to take home with me. Every state has SOME decent coffee, right? 

As for what I put IN my coffee. Soymilk (unsweetened). That's all. And not one tiny drop either. I mean, what's the point? I like my coffee with a decent amount of lightness. I use soy creamer instead, sometimes. I don't like almond milk or hemp milk in my coffee. Nope. Don't get me wrong. I love almond milk and hemp milk.....just not in my coffee please. When we lived in Brazil, I drank my coffee black, with sugar. Totally different type of coffee. And to be honest, I'd rather have the soymilk than the sugar. And that's really all I use the soymilk for. Is it wrong to have two different kinds of nondairy milk in the fridge at all times?

I forgot to mention MimicCreme. This is a nut-based creamer. It also works pretty well for me in coffee. 


And if I'm desperate....and on the go....it's SoyGo: (though I normally hate powdered creamers)


I'm sorry, I'm just not a tea person (or partier). I do like tea very occasionally, but not black tea. Rooibus is a good one, especially a chocolate mint flavored rooibus :) And green tea, if I'm having Japanese food. Otherwise, no.

I think those are all my coffee secrets. How do you drink your coffee? Or don't you? 

Eat smart,
T.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love coffee (and tea, I'm a two timer like that). I love cold brew, I just cannot get over it.

    I drink my coffee every which way, chocolate almond milk, flavour syrups, black, it doesn't matter. My go to for plain coffee (not espresso or iced) is a splash of non-dairy and 1 spoon of brown sugar.

    Gathering coffee on vacation is the best! I have 10 different types of beans at any one time. Currently loving my Wake the Fuck Up Coffee my dad brought back from New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter