Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Burritos, Tacos and Spring Rolls, among other things...

First, Saturday's market share: cucumbers, spaghetti squash, shiitakes, watermelon, peaches, tomatoes, herbs, sprouts, mustard greens, peppers, eggplant, okra, and local black bean salsa!




After our trip to Texas, I was inspired to make burritos and tacos :)

Tanya's Veggie Burritos:
(makes ~4-5 burritos)


4-5 tortillas (I used sprouted grain)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 avocado
~1 cup coleslaw/shredded cabbage/broccoli slaw
diced dried jalapenos (or fresh)
taco seasoning
lime juice & salt to taste


Saute onion & celery in about 1/4 cup water until soft.  Add peppers, carrots, and jalapenos.  Cook about 5 minutes more. Add the cabbage/coleslaw mix and cook about 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the cooked rice and taco seasoning.  I also added tomato powder (optional).  Mix well.  Add salt & lime juice to taste.


Scrape out the avocado and mash up.  Spread on the tortilla, top with veggie mix, and fold!


Tanya's Pea Tacos:
(makes ~5-6 tacos)


5-6 corn tortillas
1 cup cooked pink-eyed peas (or black-eyed)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
1 tbsp minced garlic
Creole Seasoning
Taco Seasoning
diced dried jalapenos
crushed red pepper flakes


Wrap the tortillas in tin foil and put in a 250 degree oven for about 10 minutes to heat up.  Saute the onion, garlic, & celery in 1/4 cup water until soft.  Add the peppers & cabbage.  Cook another 5 minutes, then add the peas and seasonings, including the jalapenos & red pepper flakes.  Stir well. Add more water if sticking to pan.  Cook about 5 minutes.  Try to mash up the peas a bit in the pan so the mixture sticks together a bit more.


Remove tortillas and fill. Top with guacamole (recipe follows).

Tanya's Guac:

1 Hass avocado
1/2 tomato, chopped
1 tsp dried diced jalapenos (or use fresh)
juice of 1/2 key lime (or use from a whole lime, if you like it)
1 tsp dried cilantro (or use fresh)
salt to taste


Mix all together.

Other stuff I made:




Pink-Eyed Pea salad:


Marinated veggie spring rolls (turned out to be a bit too soggy):

I also made the Peanut Passion Sauce from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan.  I used almond butter instead of peanut butter.  I left out the lime zest, and I only used a tiny drop of sesame oil.  It was quite good...I used it as a dipping sauce for spring rolls.

My one year bloggiversary is almost here!  Look for a book giveaway as a celebration!!

By the way, I'm thinking of changing my blog name. Any ideas?  My husband likes "Cooking With T" so I may keep that as a subtitle.  I also would like my blog title to match the url.

Oh, and if you're interested, there was an article on trying to be vegan in New Orleans here.

Eat smart,
T.

3 comments:

  1. Great eats! Well about titles, how about Cooking with T: a traveling vegan musician or something with that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog! And, I just moved to Slidell...husband works in downtown biz district NOLA. I was wondering what farm share you are on? And, is it all year...and would be a far drive for me? I always willing to drive! I'm not vegan, but I love vegan recipes for sure! I'm a holistic health coach so whole foods are my thing! Excited to connect and follow your good eats! :)

    http://www.reneeyemma.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rennee!

    Welcome to the NOLA area. I go to the Hollygrove market (http://hollygrovemarket.com/) They are year-round, in the Carrollton district. I think they also have some boxes at the French Mkt in the quarter. That would be closest to you. And there's always the crescent city farmer's market in the warehouse district. I like this one though(hollygrove), as it's not as crowded and it's a CSA style (1 box for $25 plus extra stuff you can buy). Here's a link to one in Slidell (never been there): http://www.camelliacitymarket.org/

    Welcome!!

    Noelle: thanks....I was thinking of almost leaving out the whole "cooking with t" part...

    T.

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter