Thursday, February 18, 2010

Greens and Sweet Rice

Sorry about the lack of posting lately.  We've been busy and out of town.  I'm back now with a few days off still until I go back to work (Mardi Gras vacation), so I've got some time to catch up.  I'll probably create more than one post today.

So back to Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet".  I had some sweet brown rice that I'd gotten at the Asian market nearby, so the Barley with Sweet Rice and Corn sounded perfect.  The combination of barley with the rice was delicious.  (I still need to buy/make Gomashio) I served this with my Collards and Cabbage.

Tanya's Collards and Cabbage:


1 huge bunch collard greens, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
2 cups shredded green cabbage
2 tbsp rice cooking wine/mirin
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
soy sauce
sesame seeds
ginger
salt


Saute the onion in a little water until soft.  Add the garlic and stir/cook for another minute. Add the collards. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes.  Add the cabbage. Cover and cook another minute.  Add soy sauce to taste and the rice wine.  Add spices to taste. Serve over cooked grains.


I made my own pizza again a few days ago.  I finally bought a pizza crisper(pan) and that did the trick for keeping a really crispy crust all over.  I also pricked the crust all over with a fork, before pre-baking it for 5 minutes or so in the oven.  It was soooo good, and crunchy, yay! You can find my original pizza recipe here.

Enjoy!  I'm out of vegetables (what???), because we were out of town and the next farmer's market isn't until Saturday......sigh.....I did break down and buy some broccoli at the store today.

Hope you all had a good Mardi Gras!
Eat smart,
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter