Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chipotle BBQ Tofu and Quick Tacos

I'm doing this in 2 blog posts today, so stay with me.

The other day I made a great recipe from the FatFreeVeganKitchen: Chipotle Barbecued Tofu.  I don't make tofu very often, but this recipe looked delicious and it sure was!  I threw some vegetables in the pan to bake with the tofu and served it with brown rice (which I sprinkled lemon pepper on).  I used only 1 package of tofu for the recipe, but still made the whole amount of sauce....mmmmmm.....and I didn't have actual chipotle chilies, so I used my chipotle powder.  This was really a great sauce for the tofu....I'll make it again for sure :)

Today I worked until 12:30 or so, and didn't have much time to make a lunch when we got home, but I was starving.  I defrosted a couple of corn tortillas and created some tacos. Take a look:

Tanya's Quick Tacos:

2 corn tortillas, warmed
1/4 cup cooked red beans (kidney)
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 tomato, chopped
~2 tb chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp chipotle powder (or chili powder, if you don't have the chipotle)
1 tsp garlic powder (1/2 tsp for tomato mixture, 1/2 tsp for bean/rice mixture)
salt & pepper


Heat up the rice and beans together.  (I put them in the microwave for a minute) Mash them up well.  Add the chipotle powder and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.  Mix well and sprinkle a little salt and pepper to taste.  Mix.  Spread the mixture onto the 2 tortillas evenly down the middle.  In a small bowl, add the tomatoes and cilantro and mix.  Add the 1/2 tsp garlic and salt & pepper to taste.  Top the bean/rice mixture with the tomatoes.  Eat!


This is a great recipe when you're in a hurry and you have leftover cooked rice and beans in the fridge.


I bought some Vegan Gourmet Cheddar vegan "cheese" at the store the other day.  It's ok.  It says it melts right on the front, but I've been unsuccessful so far.  It didn't melt on my hot chili and it didn't melt when I mixed it into rice in the microwave.....does anyone have any suggestions for that?


Stay tuned for my next post: SUPERBOWL!!!

Eat smart,
T.

Quick Tacos on FoodistaQuick Tacos

2 comments:

  1. Hello Tanya! I found this blog in foodista and followed it here. This is a lovely blog and awesome Quick Tacos recipe. A good food to have while watching a good movie. By the way you can place more foodista widget in your past and future blogs so that other foodista readers can follow and see your blog too. Just search for a related recipe or food in Foodista and use its widget. I hope to read more from you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog

Vegetarian Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

StatCounter